Time magazine reports that China’s state-run media, Xinhua, has called on Jeremy Lin to renounce his U.S. citizenship and join the Chinese Olympic Team. The article speculates about whether or not Lin should, and includes quotes encouraging Lin to play for China’s since the U.S. Olympic team doesn’t think he makes the cut since he hasn’t played long enough.
Jeremy Lin is Taiwanese American. Most of his family has been in Taiwan as long as most white people have been in America; they moved to Taiwan to get away from China and find a better life.
Only one of his four grandparents is from China. She was a Christian and she fled China for Taiwan in the 1950s. Like many waishengren, she did not feel safe in China. If she had stayed in China, she would not have been able to openly practice her religion—the same religion she has clearly passed down to her grandson.
Successful athletes of Taiwanese descent are bribed to denounce their Taiwanese heritage. Taiwanese women’s golf prodigy and current No. 1 ranked Yani Tseng was offered $25 million by a Chinese company to change her citizenship from Taiwanese to Chinese.
The Chinese are more than happy to “reclaim” Lin, even though the only reason he has had the opportunity to be what he is today—an openly Christian, American NBA player— is because he is a Taiwanese American.
Add in the additional context that many Taiwanese hold citizenship in the United States or have moved their family to the United States in part because China has tons of missiles aimed at Taiwan, the freedom of Taiwan is at stake, and they feel American citizen is a safer and more prosperous bet.
Jeremy Lin grew up American, and learned his moves from watching VHS tapes of Jordan, Magic, Kareem with his immigrant father. Rather than examining the oppressive structures that have made it difficult for Jeremy Lin to play for America or Taiwan in the first place, now it looks like Americans are more than happy to speculate that Lin secretly harbors loyalty for China, simply because he has an Asian face.
Simply because China thinks that it has the right to tell Taiwanese Americans who and what we are.
- nostrils-are-flaring likes this
- entegegenwartigung likes this
- mermaidheartsongs likes this
- koroshiyas reblogged this from mermaidheartsongs
- koroshiyas likes this
- mermaidheartsongs reblogged this from quirkytaiwan
- selfsamesies likes this
- upj likes this
- orangejasminepurpleyam likes this
- goodbyeseekwill likes this
- chulalalah likes this
- mojobunnies likes this
- henryyxyu likes this
- jaywalkingtaiwan reblogged this from vyxun
- lilacblossoms likes this
- woopsieroo likes this
- lisforlife likes this
- kimmi093 reblogged this from quirkytaiwan and added:
- alectointhunderland reblogged this from jedifreac
- jedifreac reblogged this from quirkytaiwan
- hollyreaders reblogged this from xxcrazieelovexx and added:
- tkdxedwardxsun reblogged this from xxcrazieelovexx
- soulfulmelodies reblogged this from emirleeee and added:
- qwertyivana likes this
- untitled-page likes this
- bluemiharu reblogged this from takemetotaiwan
- leejustinn likes this
- mustbeky likes this
- mellydia reblogged this from kirikira
- lucylius reblogged this from quirkytaiwan
- vanillastarx3 reblogged this from liuwenyu and added:
- sammyanthax3 reblogged this from tonetastic
- sammyanthax3 likes this
- walking-love-incarnate reblogged this from quirkytaiwan and added:
- chwistinehuang likes this
- vinnycakes likes this
- tonetastic reblogged this from emirleeee and added:
- turtleslikepie reblogged this from takemetotaiwan and added:
- kirikira reblogged this from cheng-yan
- vyxun reblogged this from staggeringheights and added:
- gracefullypink reblogged this from emirleeee and added:
- teyenc likes this
- emirleeee reblogged this from xxcrazieelovexx and added:
- landovna likes this
- noraatheexplorer likes this
- cheng-yan reblogged this from mchuuu
- kingkate likes this
- xxcrazieelovexx reblogged this from takemetotaiwan and added:
- fauxbana likes this